Skip to main content

About China

The People’s Republic of China (PRC) is the most populated country with 1.35 billion inhabitants across 22 provinces. China is the first exporter country in the world, and increasingly attracts foreign markets. Speaking Mandarin has become an asset for anyone working internationally.

China presents a great variety of landscapes, from urban centers to breathtaking countryside. Climates also varies a lot depending on the regions you find yourself in.

Fudan University is based in Shanghai. It is one of the largest megalopolis in the world, and also China’s most populated city. Its boasts an eclectic architecture, and it is not rare to find traditional Chinese houses next to mid-century European buildings or ultra-modern skyscrapers.

Nankai University is located in Tianjin, 150km away from Beijing (about 1h20 on the train). Tianjin is an important port for it is located at the mouth of the Yellow River. The city is renowned for being home to many international companies.


Practical advice for your studies in China

Level in Chinese

Our programs are open to all, regardless of your level in Chinese. Students are grouped according to Chinese proficiency during language classes to adapt teachings to everyone’s level.

In all our programs, students have an opportunity to learn Mandarin. It is the most popular dialect in China; even more popular than Cantonese which is only spoken in Hong Kong and Macao. At the end of their program, students can — if they wish to — take the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK), the only official standardized test of Chinese language proficiency.


If you are moving to China for the first time and do not speak the language, do not worry! All signs are translated in pinyin a Romanized version of Chinese. Even if you don’t speak Chinese, you will be able to communicate thanks to this phonetic approach which is meant to help non-Chinese speakers get by.



The currency in China is the Yuan (CNY). In 2016, 1€ equals 7,47 CNY. The cost of life in China is lower than in other industrialized countries: accommodation and transport are fairly affordable.


Visas for China

Students need a passport that will still be valid six months after their return date. Visit to download the required forms and book an appointment at the Visa Center for China in Paris. It usually takes about five working days to get a visa.

For summer courses, students are advised to apply for a type L visa, which is a tourist visa.

For a semester abroad, students should apply for type F visa, which gives you the right to study for six months or less. For a study strip exceeding six months, students should apply for a type X visa.


For more information on programs, visas and student life in China, get in touch with a member of the Study Experience team.

Étudier à l'étranger : le guideLogo ICEFLogo Australia Future UnlimitedLogo New Zealand EducationLogo PIERLogo Quality English
I agreeI refuse What’s a cookie ? Close

You’re preference has been saved